According to the 13th Amendment of the Constitution of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka the subject relating to handloom textile industry has been vested with the Provincial Councils. In this context, the Department of Textile Industries is entrusted with the matters involving policy decision on the said subject, centralized activities and provision of services towards the development of the industry by way of coordination with the textile industry sector of the Provincial Councils.
Gearing up producers to manufacture creative and competitive textiles in the sphere of handloom textile industry in a manner befitting the indigenous identity and the culture as well as in a manner that can upsurge the behavior of the local and international market.
Formulation of policies in relation to the development of the handloom textile industry within the policy framework of the Government and creation of quantitative and qualitative improvement in the handloom textile industry sector through the required guidance, provision of necessary services and facilities, and monitoring and coordination with a view to setting such policies in motion.
- Formulation of policies required for the uplift of the handloom textile industry.
- Making availabe trained personnel for the handloom textile industry.
- Provision of services and facilities required for the handloom textile industry.
- Promotion of the handloom textile industry.
- Marketing facilities, training programs and other services reqired for the handloom textile industry.